Money back guarantee is being offered by many businesses these days. This policy is especially popular among those offering products and services over the Internet. Of course, this includes the web hosting industry.
The web hosting industry is extremely competitive. Web hosts are constantly trying to win customers over by offering more features, lowering hosting price and providing better support. But all these are just claims by the web hosts. How will the potential customers know for sure that a particular web host is as good as they said they were? One such way is to offer free trials. But free trials are lost revenue to web hosts. This is when money back guarantee comes in.
What is Money Back Guarantee?
Money back guarantee is a policy where business owners offer a refund when you return your purchases or cancel your account or when the business couldn’t keep what they promised. It’s similar to providing free trials and assurance to customers… but in this free trial, customers will pay if they are satisfied with the services. Such policy generally comes with terms and conditions.
In the case of web hosting providers like HostGator, money back guarantee relates to a refund of hosting fees should the hosting service not live up to your expectations. You should also be aware that there are certain expenses that are non-refundable or will be charged to you when you cancel, for example free domain name registration, if applicable (if you took up their free domain name offer).
Why do web hosting providers have such a policy? 2 main reasons.
- It is a marketing strategy to reassure their potential customers that they are worth a shot. I mean, if you are going to get back your money should you become unsatisfied and decided to terminate your account, wouldn’t you be more willing to sign-up in the first place?
- To prove their confidence in their ability to meet customers’ web hosting needs. A web host is more likely to offer money back guarantee if their services are reliable. There’s nothing more convincing than to offer a risk-free trial to potential customers!
Who is HostGator?
Founded in 2002 by then university student Brent Oxley, HostGator has grown to become one of the leading web hosting providers in the world. They are popular not just among personal and small & medium businesses but also larger organizations as they provide a full range of hosting solutions, from shared hosting to VPS and dedicated servers. Plus they also offer both Linux and Windows hosting too.
The other reason why HostGator is among the top web hosting providers is because of their competitive features. These features varies according to the different plans, thus you only pay for what you need, rather than paying for features that you don’t actually use. You can easily upgrade to a higher plan when you require additional resources or tools.
Standard features offered include:
- Unlimited disk space
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Shared SSL certificate
- Free Site Builder
- 24/7 support via live chat and email
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- $100 Google AdWords
- Unlimited sub-domains
- Unlimited MySQL Databases
- QuickInstall, a 1-click script installing tool
Does HostGator provide Money Back Guarantee?
Of course they do. HostGator provides one of the better money back policy i.e. a 45-day money back guarantee.
What this means is that a new user who decides to cancel the account within 45 days will be eligible for a full refund. No questions will ever be asked! Just fill in a cancellation form, wait for cancellation confirmation, confirm that email and get a written confirmation of your cancellation.
There are certain terms to this guarantee you need to be aware of:
- Do note that this guarantee is applicable to new sign-ups only. Those adding subsequent accounts or signing up again after a previous cancellation do not qualify for this money back guarantee.
- There are nonrefundable fees e.g. administrative fees and custom software installation fees (if applicable).
- Only request for refunds for .com; .net and .org domain names will be entertained. Refund will be according to the common market pricing during the cancellation. Other top-level domains including country-specific domains are not refundable.
But does that mean that if you cancel after 45 days, you will lose all your money which you have paid? Fortunately no. Understandably, you would not receive a full refund. Instead you will get a pro-rated refund for the period that is still not used. And in this case, besides the nonrefundable fees mentioned above, all domain names are non-refundable too. This is absolutely OK because the domain names are registered in your name, and you are the valid owner. You can thus use the domain name with any other web host.
Is HostGator recommended?
I would certainly recommend that you give HostGator a try. Great features, professional support and risk-free hosting are what I think important to having a smooth sailing hosting experience.
Did I mention that their prices are most affordable too? HostGator has 3 shared hosting plans i.e. Hatchling Plan, Baby Plan and Business Plan. On top of that, they are currently offering a 20% discount on the first invoice.
As such, the most basic Hatchling Plan starts at $3.96 per month with single domain. The popular Baby Plan starts at $6.36 and allows unlimited domains and parked domains. And the Business Plan, which is specially designed for e-commerce websites, starts at $10.36 and comes with free Toll-free number (for US customers), private SSL and dedicated IP.
So, is HostGator worth your investment?
I would say: Yes, it is. After all, what have you got to lose? If you are not satisfied, you can always terminate the account and request for your money back. Do it within 45 days, and you will not lose a single cent!
Take a test drive on their cPanel demo to learn more.